Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3341424344 LastLast

Thread: My first vehicle! 1956 CJ5

No - but I believe that was a T1

S0mewhere I have a story about a 100 MPH run into Ft. Wayne on a T1.

A 100mph run behind a steam locomotive would be something to remember. Amtrak just wouldn't have the same appeal to me.

Alright this thread is begging to be updated, so here we go...

Summer got busy, and with Flossy not breaking anything major im running out of things to fix. Its kind of nice to walk in the garage and think alright what can i work on, well i cant find anything so lets drive flossy around instead!! So that has led to being able to work a little on some other projects that were waiting.

A couple weeks ago we drove Flossy and my Dads truck about 15 miles one way to a small town festival, with a car show and a parade (Flossys inaugural parade) so that was fun. And with Dad slipping the clutch in the truck trying to stay slow, i just put Flossys Dana 18 into low, let the clutch out and idled right through. Willys jeeps are parade machines!!

Last sunday my brother and I drove Flossy down to a local state park for a car show. Which was abput 20-25 miles one way. Officialy the farthest the little hurricane has been from home and toolboxes without a trailer. But we made it there and back without any issues! Oil pressure at a hot idle is about 10 but cruising it stays around 25-40. Coolant never went above 160 degrees. And a little calculations that thing got 20 miles per gallon!!! So that show was a huge success, over 200 cars, and perfect weather.

So Flossy is doing great, still leaks oil like crazy, but ive got it slowed down. I put an exhaust on it which has made it drive so much better, and my ears no longer ring after 10 minutes of driving! I did an alighnment and added some toe in, which has helped bumb steer tremendously. Added some marker lights on the sides. I figured the lights already arent great and especially with the winch visibility at night may not be the best, better to be safe. And i installed some reverse lights. Other then that ive just been fine tuning, and driving it. I'll get some video of the exhaust, and post some pictures and some more things ive done later.

Good to hear that you have been enjoying the drive. Oil is "cheap", so it can wait for winter for the attention you can give it. We are always up for photos of your adventures.

I agree on the "made for parade". The Toledo Jeep Fest is a very slow go parade. Lot of stopping and starting. Putting it in Low 1st is the way to go for sure. They just walk along. It sounds like you are having fun with it now 56'!

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    I agree on the "made for parade". The Toledo Jeep Fest is a very slow go parade. Lot of stopping and starting. Putting it in Low 1st is the way to go for sure. They just walk along. It sounds like you are having fun with it now 56'!
    Haha, I thought of getting out and "walking the Jeep" but with that shiny corvette in front I figured I should probably be responsible. I have scared a couple riders really good by letting the clutch out in low and hopping out and walking beside the jeep steering from the outside.

I custom made windshield washers for the jeep. It's probably not something I'll use all the time, but it was a fun experiment.

So I found an old oil can as a reservoir and mounted it to the firewall. Then my Grandpa gave me a washer pump from his plow truck. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the oil can and sealed the pump into it. So that the pump is hidden under the dash. Then I bought a washer nozzle online with udjustable sprayers so it can be positioned anywhere. Mounted that on the cowl and ran some hose to the pump. So everything is hidden behind the dash. And I just have a momentary on toggle switch on the dash. It actually works really well. And the only thing you can see is an old can on the firewall, which actually looks kinda neat.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here's some photos of the latest lighting upgrades. I added some corner marker lights which are also wired with turnsignals. I feel like the extra visibility at night would be a good idea. And I installed reverse lights. The shift tower in flossy has the rods exposed so I could put the switch on that. However some transmission are all in closed so some might not work. But the light is super nice for backing up.

The washer can idea is pretty good there '56. The Permatex jack oil can will make most scratch their heads in wonderment. A lot better than the Jack Daniels coolant overflow bottle that you see over and over again. The lights turned out well too. Great engineering on the reverse lights too.

You are having just too much fun.

de WB9UFS