Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 LastLast

Thread: 1st Time Jeep Owner

Work continues on the old Jeep,,,,,,,,,,The Kelly hardtop is in need of total disassembly for proper repairs to be made. Unfortunately I simply don't have enough spare time for this right now, AND want to use the Jeep through the winter for hunting season and as a "going to camp rig". Therefore I'm compromising and limiting repairs to attain functionality only, visual appearance concerns will have to wait until another time. With that said, the doors are biggest issue as neither window rolls up or down. In fact the passenger side glass is no longer attached to the regulator. Both door handles are terrible worn and no key to lock them. I purchased two new stainless steel lockable handles however the bolt pattern was different therefore requiring welding the existing assembly holes shut and redrilling new pattern. Long story short, new handles installed and windows repaired. Glued the passenger side glass back in place and the chain style regulators were cleaned and lubricated to restore functionality. The top isn't pretty, but it will do for now. Also important to pass along. While researching these hardtop wind components, they're obviously obsolete now, however I found that new chain style regulators were also used on commercial trucks (Kenworth), and they very likely could be retro fitted to these doors. IMG_2062.jpgIMG_2065.jpgIMG_2067.jpg

There are a few options for the window regulators, with the closest being the manual KW regulators. Even the newer bicycle chain styles being an option. You'd have to verify the length of the mechanism to ensure that they are not too long for the door of your hardtop, but even then, you could modify by cutting down a set to work .

https://dirksclassictruck.com/produc...-regulator-lh/

This is a Kelly hardtop and the chain regulators have plastic / nylon sprockets for the twisted link chain. The driver door has at least one tooth broken off the lower sprocket, yet still functional. Future plans include replacing the entire assemblies. Thinking the regulators with roller chain similar in size to bicycle chain would provide smoother operation and likely last longer, therefore I'm leaning that direction. The original regulators were manufactured by AI Hansen MFG Co. Gurnee ILL. and measure 21". I could not find any regulators on kw site. IMG_2063.jpgIMG_2064.jpg

Hey Cat,
    I've got a similar Kelly hard top and haven't quite gotten to the point of actively working on it, but I've been thinking about it some and doing some investigation. I know you've apparently fixed your door handle problem, but I was recently investigating the same thing and much to my surprise, I found basically the same handles that my hard top has on it on Amazon. Of course, I have no idea if the hole patterns are the same, but they look identical except for the nylon striker plates. The handles are listed from a company called Vintage Technologies for RVs and they had a lot of different handles, locks, etc. You might find something similar by looking that up. Here is the link to my handles: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TFQID8GX&psc=1

With regard to the window regulators that you're working on, one thing that came to my mind on how you might be able to come up with something similar to what you have there would be to use the plastic chain and sprockets that you can buy from McMaster Carr. I've used them over the years on various work projects in the R&D field to accomplish all kinds of things where you need custom belts and gearing for light working mechanisms. You can basically make a bicycle chain any length you want and you can buy different diameter sprockets to get the gearing you need or want. Here's a link to what I'm talking about: https://www.mcmaster.com/products/ch...hain+sprockets

Hopefully, that helps a bit. I'm very interested in what you're doing since a lot of it will apply directly to what I'll eventually need to do myself.

I goofed in saying KW when I was referring to Kenworth, especially on the Kaiser Willys forum. The link below has the Kenworth bicycle chain regulator. The bicycle chain version is linked below. I do like Test1328's idea of converting your existing set up through McMaster-Carr. You should be able to convert yours to a roller chain sprocket with a little checking.

https://www.4statetrucks.com/window-...eY3por5Ovffaho

Great info guys!
    Never considered retrofitting existing regulators / updating to roller chain sprockets,,,,,,,,,now that makes perfect sense and far less expensive.
    TEST1328: Wish I had known of the handle / lock set you found. That's nearly identical to what mine came with originally. I'll file the info for future reference. Thanks!

Also, just to confirm, my top also has those nylon strikers. The set you found would've worked perfectly for me.

You are going to love that top when you get it working. If you are actually using it as a Jeep, you cant beat having a top in the rain and/or cold.

Another thing I discovered (possibly everyone but me already knows), when mounting the top and fitting doors, it worked best for me to attach the top to the windshield frame first, then mount the doors, and adjust the side panels to match the doors. Doing this I quickly realized passenger door was bent "in" at the bottom.
    Yes, I like the hardtop and happy that it's finally functional. Correcting all of the rust holes, and cosmetic issues is going to be a major project. Maybe next winter (2025)??? Already have another project slated for this winter.

Glad my suggestions might help you, Cat!

Yes, a hard top is incredibly valuable if you live in a climate that features rain and especially snow. Growing up and hunting in a town at an elevation over 10,000 ft. meant lots of cold, snowy days where the hardtop was really critical to not freezing to death. When my Dad bought his 83 CJ5, it came with a soft top and the first thing we did was start searching for a hard top for it. This was in 88 or 89 and most companies had quit making the hard tops for the CJ5 since they quit making the CJ5 in 83. It took me a few years and when I finally found one we jumped on it. I believe it is an ACME composite hard top and is still on the Jeep. I always hated those new hard tops since the windows in the doors no longer rolled down. They have a small window that slides side to side, so you only get about half the window open. Ventilation in the cab sucks when its a hot day, but when it's cold, that hard top sure is nice. It really made me appreciate that old Kelly Steel hard top with the roll down windows.